If you have already filled out an expression of interest form, are a parent of a child attending an Educate Together school in Galway, or are just interested in finding out more, we would love if you could attend.
At the meeting we’ll give an update on our activities for past 12 months. These include:
- presenting the GET2LS case at two meetings with Minister Jan O’Sullivan and her officials;
- preparing a lengthy response to the demographic analysis on which the Department of Education based their decision not to include Galway in the areas for which new second level schools were announced in November 2015;
- engaging in intensive lobbying of candidates in the lead up to the 2016 General Election. This led to commitments of support for the campaign from 4 of the 5 TDs elected in Galway West and 2 of the 3 TDs elected in Galway East.
- increasing awareness of the GET2LS campaign by initiating a blog and remaining very active on Facebook and Twitter;
- increasing awareness of the GET2LS campaign through traditional media coverage including lengthy articles in the Galway City Tribune, Connaught Tribune and Galway Advertiser, and letters to the editor of the Irish Times;
- ensuring continued compliance with the Governance Code for the Community and Voluntary Sector;
- gathering expressions of interest covering almost 200 additional children. This means that in total we have now collected 1,265 expressions of interest from parents who would like their child to attend an Educate Together post-primary school in Galway.
We are very interested in hearing your views on the GET2LS campaign so if you have any questions or issues you’d like to raise you can do so on the night or you can contact us beforehand by replying to this email.
Finally, we would be delighted to welcome additional members to the committee so if you are interesting in supporting this exciting campaign please let us know either by email or at the AGM itself.
Hope to see you there!